Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Day 255

This morning I found 1 penny at KFC.

After a meeting at work, I stopped by a Starbucks and found 1 nickel and 2 pennies. While I was walking away, an employee stuck his head out and said, “That’s NOT cool!” I disagreed and walked away.

This brings me to my thought of the night and why I disagree with the Starbucks employee. As many of my loyal readers know, I get a good amount of my change at drive-thrus. The question is, who is the owner of the change at the drive-thru? This is a question that Chris and I have debated on more than one occasion, and unfortunately, Chris disagrees with me. I believe that the change is from the fast food company.

I believe this because most people at a drive-thru pay with a large bill, either a 10 or 20. Most people do not pay for their fast food with exact change in the drive thru. So most of the change being dropped is from the restaurant to the consumer. And if a consumer is paying with exact change, and drops a quarter, Starbucks isn’t going to cover the cost, the consumer either had to shell out another quarter or pick up the lost change.

If a coin is dropped, normally the employee will just grab another coin and give it to the driver. I know that if I was getting change, and they dropped a quarter, I would ask for another quarter. So, given my thoughts, I believe that most of the change belongs to the restaurant.

Therefore, I do not feel bad taking it, because if it mattered to them, they would have someone go out there every so often (or even after they close) to pick up all their money. If they cared more about this money and really thought it was SO UNCOOL that I was taking it, they would put someone in charge of picking it up. That would solve their problem. If Starbucks picked up their change every hour, I would never be able to change search. But they don’t, and thus, I am working toward $100.

Total for the Day - $0.08
Total for the Race - $71.04

4 comments:

Tex said...

I'd have to side with Christ because the drive-thru is the property of the establishment. Taking the change is considered theft from the company. Though, you do have one thing on your side, I seriously doubt any establishment would dare try to prosecute one of their customers in such a manner.

Tex said...

I mean Chris, not Christ. Sorry.

Bailey said...

Wow! I never knew that Christ was into this issue!
I probably wouldn't side against him either!

Anonymous said...

I think you should go back and interview the Starbucks employee. For example, it would be interesting to know if the management ever sends anybody out to collect the change around the drive-thru. It could be that you're up against an international conglomerate with a formal "change recovery policy" that's spelled out in the store's Operations Manual. More likely, the particular employee that called out to you is a freelancer who's supplementing his Starbucks pay with sweet drive-thru booty. Enquring minds want to know! But be careful -- he's likely hepped up on espresso.