Sunday, March 13, 2005

Day 29

With Marti gone, I had only two goals today. One was to get a new power cord for my cell phone. The second was to search for change. I spent most of my day searching area drive-thru’s and gas stations finding a grand total of 4 quarters, 7 dimes, 1 nickel, 43 pennies. But the quarter that I found at a Sonic has a great story behind it.

I was at the Sonic early this morning when I found a quarter that was super glued to the ground, the first time that I found such coin in this race. I found a bottle cap, and went back, pretended to tie my shoe, and tried to get it out to no avail.

As the day went on, I decided that I wasn’t going to let the quarter beat me. I drove back there at around 9:30 tonight with my tools (screwdriver and hammer). My plan was to do it quick, and get out without being seen. I walked up, and in one quick hammer, the quarter was mine. But in walking back to my truck, I noticed that one of the waitress/carhops went to the spot of the quarter, and seemed to be stunned that the quarter was gone.

I started to think about this, and I wanted to know the story behind the quarter. Had it been a running joke with the Sonic staff? Did they keep track of the number of people who tried to pick it up? In my pursuit of the race, did I ruin a great joke for this Sonic staff?

When I told Chris about this, he urged me to call the Sonic to find out the answers to my questions. After much searching to find the number I finally called the Sonic, and told my story. When I was finished telling my story to the girl working there, there was a long pause before she said, “It’s cool if you keep the quarter.” I her ask the rest of the staff there if they knew an answer to my questions, but I’m not 100% sure if she really understood my questions. At one point, I had to remind her that I had NOT glued the quarter. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for a better story out of it.

Oh well, there is always tomorrow. My goals are to go jogging, lay by the pool, change search, go to a Steve Miller Band concert Chris.

Total for the Day - $2.18 (New Daily High)
Total for the Race - $9.37
Change Finding Streak - 15 Days

No comments: